There are many ways to locate tags or devices in a 3-dimension space. Some of our customers are looking for systems that are device-centric -meaning the moving device computes its location- while others want a server centric solution where the moving objects are tagged and the infrastructure tracks each tag in the 3D space.
The beauty of BeSpoon 3D solution lies in its offering of a unified solution, both from a hardware and software perspective. The same protocol, running on the same chip, addresses all configurations:
See below why it is important to pick the right configuration and maximize the efficiency of your location setup.
Our tracking solution was designed to address all use cases, from high speed targets (athletes, drones) to low duty cycle assets.
Precise Inverted 3D
This configuration relies on 2-way ranging measures (TWR). It offers the Best Performances in terms of Accuracy.
This is a Device-Centric solution, meaning that the mobile Device computes its position on its own. This configuration can only address a Limited number of mobile Devices.
As Location is computed based on fixed Tags, and does not need Anchors nor Servers, it is very cheap.
The principle is super-simple: the moving Device measures distances with each fixed Tags using 2-way ranging, and runs a simple triangulation to compute its own position.
BeSpoon supports this inverted 3D configuration across a full range of hardware products:
- Fixed references can be Tags or Evaluation Kit configured in tag mode. It is also possible to use our Modules, or even our Anchors.
- The mobile Device, can be a SpoonPhone, an Anchor, or an Evaluation Kit configured in Master mode and connected to a PC, or our Module connected to a PC.
- 3D software suite can be run on Android platform, or PC with OS Ubuntu 14.04 version
- Maximum Location rate is 57Hz
- Lowest location rate can be every 30s or in Asset tracking every hours/days/movement…
Precise Location RTLS
Deploying a network of Anchors allows to track a large amount of Tags over wide places. This configuration, also known as 3D RTLS is Server centric, meaning that positions are computed on a regular PC running BeSpoon Location Server suite.
The Server broadcast every Tag position in real time over an UDP link, over Ethernet wires or/and WiFi. Applications running on any hardware can collect the positions and the rest is yours!
Deploying a location network is fast and easy:
- Anchors can either be plugged on the mains or powered over Ethernet. They communicate with the Location Server either over Ethernet or WiFi.
- Over-the-air UWB synchronization allows to deploy very large networks without bothering with wires. Anchors are synchronized as if they were running on an atomic clock, even when they are very far apart and not in line of sight.
- The Calibration Wizard makes it straightforward to input the Anchors position. After entering a few parameters, the system computes every Anchor exact coordinates in one click. Adding one more Anchor? Just click again and it is identified, located, integrated!
- Deployment real-time viewer. Throughout the installation, enjoy a detailed view of the network topology, performances and characteristics, overlaid on the map of the place.
- Map matching is a great tool to take into account environmental information, like walls, obstacles, etc. A good map matching help minimize the number of Anchors required to cover a large area.
- Location-based rules are another optimization tool. They allow to adjust localization algorithms based on visited areas, switching from 3D to 2D or even 1D computations, adapting the location rate based on hot and cold zones, etc.
- All controls and data / statistics collections are done via a simple Web Interface. Wherever you are, use your preferred browser to add, remove, update the position of Anchors, monitor location performances in real-time, stream position tracking of Anchors and Tags, etc.
Our Flexible solution fits all sorts of requirements, thanks to a high level of parameterization. Below are a few examples of our degrees of freedom:
- The number of Anchors and Tags are user-defined
- Anchors can be assigned different roles: Beacon (transmitting and receiving) or Receiver (receiving only).
- User can select a location paradigm: TOA (Time Of Arrival) or TDOA (Time Difference Of Arrival)
- Algorithm can be tuned by using settings controlled by your application.
- Location rate, Range of operation, Channels and Spreading code can be easily set by the user.
Sophisticated features for industrial-grade location capabilities
- Pairing, network registration, synchronization and de-registration is built into our protocol.
- Agile location rate: Tags may decide on their own to adjust their location rate.
- Controlled location rate: The Server can order a tag to adjust its location rate, based on zoning-related rules, or application-defined rules.
- Seamless handover: Tags switch from place to place without being ever lost by the Server. We ensure a continuous quality of service.
- NLOS detection, as well as accuracy measurements allow to assess the possible reading bias in a given configuration and allow Mitigation Algorithms to take over and find out the real position of a Tag wandering in an adverse environment.
Adjusting the accuracy / autonomy trade-off by mixing ToA and TDoA paradigms
- Default 3D RTLS runs ToA algorithms, which ensures an ideal accuracy and high dynamics.
- Low power 3D RTLS includes a dose of TDoA, improving significantly the Tags autonomy.
Get in touch with our sales team if this mix is key for your business…
Precise Indoor GPS
The GPS configuration relies on a Location Network similar to the one described in the previous section for RTLS use cases.
A noticeable difference however is that 3D GPS is device centric, meaning that the position of a device is computed by the device itself, who simply analyzes the UWB synchronization signals used by the location Network.
With a precision close to an Atomic clock, our Location network offers performances comparable to the fleet of GPS satellites in orbit. Our Tags run algorithms similar to GPS receivers and because they just receive and never transmit there can be tons of them around.
Last but not least, BeSpoon Location network can be used to track “dumb” Tags in RTLS mode, while at the same time, enabling smart Tags to locate in GPS mode.
Remember, BeSpoon Location network is fast and easy to install, very flexible, with sophisticated features built-in (this was all explained in the Precise RTLS section :-)).
AoA (Angle of Arrival) in 2 or 3 dimensions
Our chip features 2 RF input in order to handle 2 antennas, and even a 3rd one by adding a single front end switch SPDT.
Managing 2 antennas is great, because it allows to figure out where the radio signal is coming from, depending on which antenna received the signal first.